- This event has passed.
Bicycle Skills Rodeo
August 5 @ 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Free and open to anyone ages 5 and up who wants to learn to ride, or gain confidence and skills on their bike.
What to bring:
- Bicycle and helmet required. Everyone will sign a waiver.
- Wear comfortable clothing and closed toe shoes (no sandals).
- Bring water to drink and sunscreen.
- For kids – Parents must ensure that the bicycle fits their child and is in good working order (i.e., wheels spin freely, brakes function). The child must be able to rest his or her feet flat on the ground while sitting on the bicycle seat. Training wheels should be removed in advance and tires should be inflated until they are hard.
- For beginners – pedals are removed and students work on steering and balance. When this is achieved pedals are added back to work on pedaling.
- For intermediate riders – we will work on balance, bike safety skills, using hand signals and looking back behind you while riding.
- For riders who have mastered these skills we will ride on the rail trail and work on safety skills.
A mechanic will be available for basic adjustments.
Space is limited– advance registration is recommended!
Location: Walkway East (Poughkeepsie) Parking Lot
Event Organizer: Dutchess County Transportation Council