Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park is a linear walkway spanning the Hudson River. At 212 feet tall and 1.28 miles long, it is the longest, elevated pedestrian bridge in the world. The park is managed and maintained by NYS Parks – Taconic Region. Walkway State Park officially opened to the public on Saturday, October 3, 2009.
Walkway State Park is open year-round, weather conditions permitting (closed in the event of lightening or ice).
Take an online Virtual Tour!
There are handicap designated parking spaces available on both ends of the bridge. The Walkway is wheelchair accessible and motorized scooters or other power-assisted mobility devices are allowed (for the handicapped only). There are no equipment rentals on site.
The Park offers a wide variety of day-use activities:
- Audio-Visual programs – Talkway Over the Walkway
- Bike riding
- Bird watching
- Dog walking
- Roller skating, in-line skating
- River traffic observation
- Scenic Views
- Self-guided tours
- Train spotting
- There are picnic tables at both bridge approaches.
- There are benches at each of the bridge's three scenic overlooks.
- Rest rooms are available at either end of the bridge.
- Bike racks are available at both bridge approaches. Food and Beverage Concessionaires are also available at both approaches.
- The park offers interpretive signs at the bridge’s approach as well as along the railings. Select interpretive signs are linked to a free cell phone tour called, Talkway Over the Walkway.
This is a smoke and alcohol free park.
Household pets only; must be on a leash not more that 6 feet long.