Director of Development
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Walkway Over the Hudson is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic, and goal oriented Director of Development to design, implement, and manage a comprehensive fundraising effort to increase revenue from individuals, corporations and events. The Director must have an established record of developing and implementing successful fundraising programs that resulted in expanded engagement and sustainable increased revenue. This is an opportunity to join the Walkway team and guide our fundraising activities to the next level.
Walkway Over the Hudson, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group, works to support and improve Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park by raising funds to improve amenities and provide long-term stewardship to the park. Our mission depends upon engaging partners, donors, members, and volunteers who share our vision. With over 500,000 people visiting annually, half from outside the region, the park is a powerful economic engine, bringing new revenue, jobs, and taxes into the Mid-Hudson Region. Our supporters are given an opportunity to make a difference in the region.
The Director of Development is expected to achieve an annual fundraising goal as determined by the Executive Director and Board of Directors. The Director will identify, rate and track major donor prospects, including high-value donors and organizations. He/she will create opportunities to build awareness among all constituents to significantly expand positive fundraising relationships, via methods including but not limited to fundraising appeals, organization newsletters, donor cultivation events, and donor-centered marketing tools. The Director will also coordinate and advise on the organization’s social media strategy and assist with the development of marketing materials for individual donors, corporate programs and sponsorships.
The Director of Development cultivates and maintains strong working relationships with local executives, business owners, and corporate and individual donors via regularly scheduled in-person, phone, and e-mail contact. This position partners with the Executive Director, Board and committee members on donor cultivation and solicitation in addition to adhering to a systematized contact plan to engage corporate sponsorship and major donor contacts.
The Director will demonstrate thorough knowledge of Walkway’s database in order to manage a prospect tracking system that identifies, assigns, and rates major donor prospects, including corporations, high value donors, and organizations. He/she will maintain working knowledge of the database to assist in analyzing donor data and campaign ROI.
The Director will manage and track all business partner and corporate renewals, including benefit fulfillment and appropriate acknowledgements to maintain strong and ongoing relationships.
The Director serves as the principal staff support for the Resource Development Committee of Walkway’s Board of Directors, engaging and enlisting support, financial and otherwise, that will bring forth their best ideas and efforts. He/she will prepare meeting agendas, monitor progress of events and activities, and record meeting minutes.
This position performs other duties and participates in projects as assigned by the Executive Director to achieve the strategic goals of the Walkway.
In summary, the Director of Development is expected to:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Walkway’s various fundraising programs, sponsorships, campaigns and events.
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen collaborative partnerships, inside or outside the organization.
- Be accountable for overall fundraising results and engage directly in researching, identifying, prospecting, cultivating, and soliciting Walkway donors.
- Engage the Executive Director, Board Members and Committee Members to participate strategically in the development process.
- Evaluate the ROI for Walkway hosted events in terms of advancing development goals.
- Manage staff and outside consultants engaged in fundraising activities.
- Identify tracking and measuring tools to analyze brand presence and performance.
- Implement and monitor the annual membership drive strategy and campaign.
- Responsible for development of appropriate marketing materials for individual donors, corporate programs and sponsorships, such as newsletters, annual reports and brochures.
- Become a strategic member of the Walkway team.
- Perform other duties and participate in projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master Degree preferred.
- Eight years of fundraising and development experience, with demonstrated success in cultivating and soliciting gifts from a variety of constituents.
- Prior experience designing and implementing comprehensive multi-year development plans, which included multiple fundraising sources (individual, corporate, foundation and other organizations), various giving opportunities (annual giving, periodic giving, event-centered efforts, capital campaigns, sponsorships, etc.) and gift variety (cash, in-kind, planned, etc.).
- Ability to meet challenging annual revenue goals
- Major gift or capital campaign experience securing gifts of $25,000 or more.
- Research and analytic skills; comfort with preparing and presenting proposals and supporting materials to various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects, comfort with re-prioritization, and operating with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated interest in self-development; seek, accept, and use constructive criticism openly; and seek out challenging developmental opportunities.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; effective public communication style; sense of humor a plus.
- Self-confident person who engenders confidence and trust in those around them.
- Highly collegial; equally comfortable as a team leader or team member.
- Action-oriented, with the ability to build momentum around ideas and initiatives.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically about the big picture, while remaining focused on the detail-oriented work.
- Comfort assuming a share of event functions that require all hands on deck.
- Ability to shift back and forth efficiently between two or more activities or sources of information. Being open to different and new ways of doing things; willing to modify one’s preferred way of doing things. Performing effectively in varying environments with different people.
Work Context and ADA Specifications:
- Indoor workspace: typical office setting.
- Telephone: must be able to be on the phone multiple times throughout the day.
- Will be in contact with others via face-to-face, email and telephone.
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Clean driving record and access to a reliable car.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Will require walking up and down stairs frequently.
- Willingness to work weekends and weeknights as needed.
- Ability to work outdoors.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Walkway Over the Hudson is committed to equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetics or any other characteristic protected by law.