Skip to Content
- $2.4 million in funding was secured for the construction of the elevator through the Federal Transportation Enhancement Program (through the NYS Department of Transportation).
- An additional $400,000 was secured from a grant through the Environmental Protection Fund.
- Design and engineering began in 2010 with Bergmann Associates as lead designer. In 2012 BCI Construction was awarded the bid to construct the elevator.
- Construction has been managed by New York State Parks.
- Elevator design originally used by US Department of Defense which has been adapted for civilian use.
- Features weather-resistant systems that typically are not found on most elevators
- Auto Rescue system that provides automatic battery lowering in the event of a power outage.
- The Walkway Elevator exterior elevator cab is one of few in existence.
- The elevator will be operated by State Parks' staff.
- Only service dogs will be allowed in the elevator.
- Current elevator specifications:
- 21 stories high (roughly 210 feet)
- 8' x 10' cab with windows providing Hudson River views
- Approximate 18-person capacity (Maximum capacity of 7,500 lbs)
- Estimated trip time of 70 seconds
- 3 Observation Windows
- Handicapped Accessible (ADA Compliant)