Become a Walkway Ambassador
Our red-vested Walkway Ambassadors are the welcoming faces you see when you visit the Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park. They are the pulse of the Walkway, serving as greeters, tour guides and information providers, and assisting Park staff. Ambassadors volunteers enjoy giving back to the community by sharing their time and knowledge of the region to enhance your visitor experience.
You can join this energized and committed Ambassador Corps, now more than 140 strong, and be a part of Walkway Over the Hudson's outreach to more than 500,000 visitors each year. Walkway Ambassadors come from all walks of life. Whether you are retired, empty-nesting or just seeking to become part of a fun and lively group of people, we encourage you to join us!
When you decide to become a volunteer, your initial training will includes two 2-hour classes plus an on-site tour. Additionally, you will receive a mentor and sales training to learn more about how to support our merchandise pavilions. Our volunteer program has been recognized by New York State as a model for other park volunteer programs statewide.
Continuing education includes the following specialized training and classes:
- CPR and First Aid certification classes
- Docent training
- Suicide prevention
- Conflict resolution
- Field trips to various parks and historic sites within a 90-mile radius to help volunteers point out to visitors other attractions that are available in the area.
In addition to completing the required training, volunteers provide their own transportation and commit to serve at least 35 hours per year, with 16 of those hours working in the merchandise pavilions.
What do Walkway Ambassadors do?
As a Walkway Ambassador, you would:
- Create a welcoming environment for all visitors and peers
- Promote safety at all times, being aware of visitors and surroundings
- Provide information and guidance on “what to do in the area”
- Sell Walkway apparel and souvenirs
- Lead tours and communicate the work of the organization
- Promote membership and volunteer recruitment
- Provide program and event assistance including, planning, management, logistics, traffic control, etc.
- Provide resources and skills to help maintain the Walkway's reputation as a world renowned attraction
What do our Ambassadors say?
Here are some quotes from a few of our ambassadors:
The Walkway is a great opportunity for any volunteer. It's a way to connect with the community; let visitors know about the beauty and history of the area; and to interact with visitors who are always in a good mood. --Kevin
It's a great way to meet lots of interesting people and to support the Walkway. --Judy
Since the Walkway opened in 2009, I have loved chatting with visitors from all over the world. Now that I am retired, I have a great group of new friends and lots to keep me busy. --Michele
We welcome new volunteers who wish to share their unique skills with the Walkway and our visitors! For more information about becoming a Walkway Ambassador contact Theresa Sanchez at 845-454-9649 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and see you on the bridge!