Our Story


  • 2024

    The West Pavilion in Highland is renovated with new infrastructure and storage space, creating a walk-in souvenir shop similar to the East Gate Plaza in Poughkeepsie.
  • 2021

    East Gate Plaza opens in Poughkeepsie, creating a walk-in souvenir pavilion, an expanded pathway, additional seating, landscape installations, and a covered area that can used for small events.
  • 2021

    Operation of 11 passenger, wheelchair accessible electric tram begins to assist seniors and mobility challenges in accessing the Walkway.
  • 2020

    Under Governor Cuomo’s directive, New York State Parks like Walkway Over the Hudson remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Walkway did not close for a single day in 2020.
  • 2020

    Construction begins on the East Gate Plaza directly atop the Washington Street Stairs outside the Poughkeepsie gates.
  • 2019

    Dutchess Welcome Center opens to the public. East side approach reimagined to include an improved pathway, stonework, and more public seating. An additional entrance onto Orchard Place is built. On October 3, Walkway celebrates its 10-year anniversary.
  • 2018

    Ulster Welcome Center opens to the public. Groundbreaking on Dutchess Welcome Center at the east entrance in Poughkeepsie.
  • 2017

    Construction began on Ulster Welcome Center at the west entrance in Highland.
  • 2016

    Walkway Over the Hudson inducted into the Rail-Trail Hall of Fame with Ulster County's Hudson Valley Rail Trail and the William R. Steinhaus Dutchess Rail Trail.
  • 2016

    Governor Andrew Cuomo announced plans to construct welcome centers at each of Walkway's entrances.
  • 2014

    New 21-story riverfront elevator opened, connecting Walkway State Historic Park to Upper Landing Park and the Poughkeepsie waterfront.
  • 2013

    The renovated Upper Landing Park opened.
  • 2012

    The Dyson Foundation purchased the Upper Landing and began work to convert it into a park to serve as the entrance point to a new Walkway riverfront elevator.
  • 2012

    Walkway Over the Hudson achieved a new Guinness World Record for the longest line of dancers with a line of 2,569 people dancing the Hokey Pokey on the Walkway.
  • 2009

    Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park opened to the public, October 3, 2009.
  • 2008

    After a groundbreaking held in May, construction work began to transform the bridge into a pedestrian park.
  • 2007

    Walkway Over the Hudson partnered with the Dyson Foundation to access public and private funding in order to transform the bridge into the world's largest pedestrian park.
  • 1998

    Walkway Over the Hudson assumes ownership of the bridge.
  • 1994

    Walkway Over the Hudson was officially designated a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
  • 1992

    Walkway Over the Hudson began its efforts to provide public access to the bridge and link rail trails on both sides of the Hudson.
  • 1974

    Fire severely damaged the tracks, ending almost a century of continuous use.
  • World War II

    Through the war, the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge carried troops to be shipped overseas. At its height, 3,500 train cars crossed the bridge on a daily basis.
  • 1889

    Trains started crossing and at that time it was the longest bridge in the world.
  • 1888

    The bridge opened in December and was considered a technological wonder.
  • 1873

    The first cornerstone of the bridge was laid.
  • 1871

    The Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge was chartered.
  • 1868

    An article in the Poughkeepsie Journal introduced the idea of building a railroad bridge across the Hudson.